Friday, October 14, 2005

horse and car

I had the opportunity to spend some time at the N-TEN conference in DC this week. It was very interesting getting immersed in the world of the people that we want to adopt the stuff we are working on.  I was amazed at the ‘state-of-the-art’ that was being presented; they have a long way to go. My analogy for the day was:

They are all talking about how to better tether their horses to their carts. I tried to tell them about cars… They wanted to know how you tether a horse to a car.

The experts that were speaking were introducing the concepts of Web Services and Messaging (Pub/Sub).  I was trying to tell them that those are the OLD answers to their problems. There needs to be a real paradigm shift. It’s going to take some time, and a lot of work. The glimmer of hope; there were a few people there that really got it. Together with those few people I think we can move this stuff forward by leading by example.

No comments: